Reading aloud to your child brings joy, engagement and emotional connection, as well as optimal brain development. It opens up a world of adventure, curiosity and imagination. Through the language of stories your child will develop empathy, vocabulary and concepts. “The evidence is so overwhelming that researchers consider it one of the most important indicators of a child’s prospects in life.” (Gurdon, 2019) The best part is that it is easy to do with outstanding benefits.
Researchers have found that high levels of brain activity and engagement happens when a story is read aloud. It is the experience of the human voice telling the story that engages and captures the minds of children. The time you spend reading aloud to your child is worth it.
Remember…..as suggested by Hattie, what has the greatest impact is to just “read, read, read and to talk about your reading. Most importantly make reading pleasurable”. (Hattie 2020)
- Quality time connecting with your child(ren)
- Builds confidence
- Fosters empathy
- Builds background knowledge
- Strengthens skills in:
- Critical Thinking
- Attention & Concentration
- It’s relaxing, fun & your kids LOVE IT!
- Read aloud to your kids, even after they can read independently
- Make it part of your daily routine
- Have a variety of age-appropriate books available
- Choose books together with your children
- Find a safe, warm, cozy spot
- Model a love of reading
Hattie, J. Visible Learning Effect Sizes When Schools Are Closed: What Matters and What Does Not,Article Corwin Press, April 2020
Online Book/Website Recommendations:
- 16 Great Reasons for Reading Aloud
- Benefits of Reading Aloud to Your Kids
- Why Reading Aloud is the Best Thing You Can Do For Your Kids
- 10 Myths of Reading Aloud at Home