Summer is that well deserved break from your day to day life. It has the power to re-energize one’s imagination and that sense of awe and wonder. It provides that much needed break from the structure and routine and all that the school year entails. It is a time to “just be” and to enjoy that feeling of those “endless days of summer”. While formal learning is paused during summer vacation learning continues to happen all the time, in all kinds of ways and all kind of places.
- It is about feeling connected to and observing the world outside of one’s self.
- It is about looking for ways to contribute to others and to our community.
- It is the simple things you do…. like reading, building, creating, cooking and outside play.
- It is through unstructured play that curiosity, imagination and discovery flourishes.
- It is through encouraging exploration, observation and reflection.
Summer provides that time to let their children set the pace, to expand their passions and interest and to take the time to encourage both questions, answers, best guesses and those “uh huh” moments. Create opportunities for all different kinds of activities and thinking. Just let summer life happen and look for the ways to encourage daydreaming and imagination. Embrace and enjoy all the goodness around you!