What is Read and Write:
Read and Write is a literacy software with tools designed for reading, writing, study and research support. Read and Write for Google is a toolbar that works with PC-Microsoft, Mac-Apple (including Ipads), and Chromebooks to provide a little extra help and support for students. Working with documents and the web can be challenging for all students, especially our struggling readers and writers, ESL learners and students with learning disabilities like dyslexia.
Why Use Read and Write:
As a common way to provide two-way communication between students and teachers, Google apps such as Google Docs, Google slides and webpages (Google Search) are frequently used. Read and Write for Google Chrome provides support tools for the web and common file types accessed through Google Drive. Beneficial for use in all subject areas, Read and Write offers support with activities such as reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, research, and both typing and proofing written work.
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with choice of natural voices
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills with word prediction
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools
- Translator for Identifying unfamiliar words
- Collecting and summarizing tools