Immersive Reader is a tool developed by Microsoft, designed to improve online reading for our students who struggle with reading, students with special educational needs as well as ESL learners. Immersive Reader is a full screen reading tool designed to support students with dyslexia and dysgraphia in the classroom, but is a support for any student who wants to make reading easier online.
As a common way to provide two-way communication between students and teachers, Google apps such as Google Docs, Google slides and webpages (Google Search) are frequently used. Read and Write for Google Chrome provides support tools for the web and common file types accessed through Google Drive. Beneficial for use in all subject areas, Read and Write offers support with activities such as reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, research, and both typing and proofing written work
- Hear web pages and documents read aloud to improve reading comprehension, with choice of natural voices
- Understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills with word prediction
- Support independent student research with valuable study skills tools
- Translator for Identifying unfamiliar words
- Collecting and summarizing tools